NMWF February Newsletter: Public Lands Wins, Upcoming Events
Huge Win for Public Lands Following Rally at the Roundhouse!
Wow! Our largest rally ever - with over 500 New Mexicans in attendance - was a huge success! Not only was it our biggest turnout ever, but the same day hundreds came together to show their support for public lands, Representative Jason Chaffetz of Utah pulled HR 621. This bill would have sold off 3.3 million acres of publicly owned land - including approximately 1 million acres in New Mexico.
This is a huge win for public lands and a great example of what can happen when we stand together for what we believe in. However, he did not pull HB 622 which would transfer law enforcement on public lands to the states. So more battles for our public lands continue, but we want to thank you for your support of public lands - it led to a huge victory! Our petition in support of our national monuments is still active - sign on today!
Make sure you're following us on Facebook and Twitter to stay up to date on legislation on the state and federal level.
February is going to be a busy month at the New Mexico Wildlife Federation, we hope to see you at an upcoming event!
- February 9 - 13: Military Winterfest in Angel Fire: NMWF is partnering with the National Veterans Wellness & Healing Center of Angel Fire for this fun-filled event for the whole family! Participants can expect snowshoeing, snowboarding, outdoor activities, a military family expo, and a skydive by retired US Army Golden Knight and double amputee Dana Bowman. This event will take place at the Angel Fire Ski Resort in Angel Fire. Learn more and get your tickets today!
- February 11: Valles Canyon Community Hike: Join Nuestra Tierra for a guided hike to Valles Canyon, a spiritual and cultural site rich in Jornada Mogollon petroglyphs in the Organ Mountains Desert Peaks National Monument. The hike is medium difficulty for its length (about 3.5 to 4 hours round trip, moderate pace), but does not have significant elevation gains. The terrain varies between solid dirt, sandy washes, and semi-rocky creekbeds. We are limited to 15 participants on this hike, but we will schedule another hike to Valles Canyon if there is significant interest.
- February 11: Veteran Hike at El Malpais: We are excited to be teaming up with the National Park Service and the Farmington Vet Center “Keeping the Promise” for a hike in El Malpais National Monument. Veterans and their family members are invited for this social gathering on our public lands! If interested please call Robertson Yazzie at 505-274-1747.
- February 17 - 19: Outdoor Adventures Hunting and Fishing Show: NMWF staff will be tabling at the annual expo hosted by the New Mexico Department of Game and Fish. Stop by and say hi and learn about your public lands!
- February 21: National Monument Celebration with Senator Martin Heinrich: Join us at Taos Mesa Brewing Company to celebrate our national monuments with food and beer. Save the date, more details to come!
New Mexico Trout Fly Fishing Conclave
Join New Mexico Trout for their annual conclave on February 11th. The conclave will include exciting guest speakers and clinics on fly-casting, fishing knots, fly tying demonstrations, and more! The event will take place at Sandia Preparatory School in Albuquerque and will run from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm. Get your tickets today!
Get to Know NMWF
Did you know that the New Mexico Wildlife Federation has been around for over 100 years? Check out our latest video from Where the River Runs to learn about how history, how we defend public lands, and how you can get involved.